Sunday, January 16, 2011

No turning back

"So far as I know we did not set sail to look for things useful but to seek honor and adventure. And here is as great an adventure as ever I heard of, and here, if we turn back, no little impeachment of all our honors..." -Reepicheep, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader


Hello, friends! So, I leave for India in exactly... well, counting today, 4 days. FOUR DAYS! How did it come to this? People keep asking me how I feel and to be honest, I'm not sure exactly. It's a blender of emotion. Some days I'm super excited and can't wait to get there. My heart jolts a beat, let's go already! The blender is on full blast. Other days, I'm more apprehensive, question my sanity, then simply shrug it off. The blender like a smooth whir. Then sometimes I'm even a trifle afraid. Blender, pause. Of what? The unknown perhaps. Yet that is the very thing that intrigues and beckons me forward... The unknown. Four years ago I waded through similar emotional complexities. As my dear friend Rachel and I packed up Flo, her little, trusty Honda, and left small-town Muncie, Indiana and hit the road for big-time Los Angeles, the surreal adventure kicked into reality.  A quote from Donald Miller became especially meaningful for us throughout that semester:


"It would be a crime not to venture out, wouldn't it? It might be time for you to go. It might be time to change, to shine out. I want to repeat one word for you: Leave. Roll the word around on your tongue for a bit. It is a beautiful word, isn't it? So strong and forceful, the way you have always wanted to be. And you will not be alone. You have never been alone. Don't worry. Everything will still be here when you get back. It is you who will have changed."


I guess I should finish packing right? I've got a plane to catch in 4 days.  


*this blog will generally be comprised of thoughts, experiences, prayers, quotes, etc. I don't plan to edit it really but rather allow more of a verbal flow. We'll let the ameba take it's shape as it slithers along.  All that to say, I apologize in advance for any grammatical error. At minimum, I'm hoping it will help me process this outlandish, phenomenal journey. At best I'm hoping it will encourage and update my support team back home that helped make this trip possible! I can't thank you guys enough. And if anyone else happens to stumble upon it and finds it interesting enough to read, by all means, eat up this protozoan of a blog. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. looking forward to reading about your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything will still be the same... when you get back. Love you, friend. Change the world and be changed.

    ReplyDelete