Tuesday, February 8, 2011

the never-ending staircase

Each day in this strange, wonderful place is like climbing a never-ending staircase. I can only take one step at a time, slowly. Yet I feel it, the strain, in my every muscle- especially my heart.

I think I'm only beginning to understand why people here do not see many tourists in this town-- this place is tough. Every emotion, every mental capacity, every physical sensory is bombarded. The spiritual battle rages... I see it in the faces of the street vendors selling their salvaged crop. The face of the frail boy falling asleep under the blue canvas. The rotting gods caged in their paint-chipped shrines. The dusty roads laden with slow-moving oxen. The trash-infused, open sewage drain. Who would want to visit here? Who would love such a place? Jesus would and does...

This place is me.

"... the Father himself loves you dearly...Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows, but take heart! I have overcome the world...This is the way to eternal life- to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth..." -John 16:32-17:1-3 (various)

1 comment:

  1. I love what you're doing Alisha! I'm praying that God continues to use you to impact these kids :) You get to be the hands and feet of Jesus to the people you're surrounded by, and that is utterly amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete