Tuesday, May 24, 2011

UPDATE!

Hey friends! It's been awhile since I've updated the ole' blog. This is due to several factors: 1- the internet has been down for a few weeks. self-explanatory. 2- so much has been happening that I've been overwhelmed at the thought of choosing what to write about, kinda like how I feel when I walk into the downtown Chicago library, so many stories, how could I pick just one? 3- it's dang hot outside! which really shouldn't affect my writing capabilities since the room where the computer is located has air conditioning (Em, please don't give me a hard time about that one) but honestly, the summer here really zaps you of any and all energy, even mental energy-- most days are anywhere from 110-115 degrees plus humidity, it's like living in a sauna with no exit; most people kinda just pass out during the day under a fan somewhere- no joke- even the flies buzz slower...

So, what's this blog about, Lish? Good question. Like I said, a lot has happened over the past few weeks. Here's a few highlights in no particular order, although some do have obvious importance above others:
*tasting goat brain (I'll leave that one up to the imagination), fried baby fish eggs, and boiled chicken liver (preferably not together)
*praying with persecuted believers from Kolkatta, hearing their stories, sharing their tears...
*leading/teaching English worship songs to the "young adult" crowd during retreat week-- hearing "We Want to See Jesus Lifted High" sung by thousands of Indian brothers and sisters will forever be etched in my memory as one of those surreal life moments
*eating Chat (kinda like chilli but kicked up a notch) from a road-stand vendor! (made with local water-- stupid or daring? I'll let you be the judge)
*learning the entire Telugu alphabet and singing a Telugu song for church-- the crowd was all smiles and even clapped along, which is definitely better than having them throw things, which thankfully, hasn't happened yet
*driving through the Indian country-side in a Land Rover at night, stars brilliantly shining, breeze blowing, and happen chancing upon... two guys dropping a deuce on the side of the road in their birthday suits
*teaching/acting out Bible stories to the kids at school-- David and Goliath was a popular favorite, the boys all took the initiative to sling-shot mangos off trees during break
*lice checks... so far, so good
*dancing to Dola de Dola (Bollywood wedding song) on stage with select teachers for Annual day-- white saree, henna on the hands, bangles, and yes, jasmine flowers in my hair
*conversations with Pastor Isaac Bandi-- a blog soon to follow dedicated to this man, don't miss it
*being gifted with a small teddy bear from one of my students-- the bear, when squeezed, says in a cute little voice, "I love you"

Most of all, I'd like to share with you what God has been teaching me, but even that I cannot fully describe. Probably the biggest lesson(s) since being here has been obedience and learning how we, the church, are the bride of Christ. This season of my life has been purifying, being refined through fire, more than any other. More subject for a face-to-face conversation than able to fully convey in a letter. I kinda wish you could pull up a chair, sip some chai with me and we could talk late into the night about Jesus and life together but worlds apart we remain, and we are where we are with purpose. I think of you and pray about you often.

I'll leave you with a couple of meaningful quotes/verse that have impacted my thought recently:

"Oh, how many times the gold is plunged back into the fire- far, far more times than seem necessary. Yet you can be sure the Forger sees impurities no one else can see. The gold must return to the fire again and again until the fire has perfected purity... until the Forger's reflection shines in it!" -Guyon

"My grace is ALL you need. My power works best in weakness..." -2 Cor. 12:9

I guess that about sums things up for now. if you have time, I'd really like to hear how you are doing. If you have facebook, message me an update and any prayer requests. Also, I'd like to give a shout-out to my brother, Than, who just graduated from Liberty University! All hail the conquering graduate! And my brother Jake, who will be graduating from flight school this June! Black-hawk helicopter pilot extreme. Guys, I'm super proud of you. I LOVE YOU.

no turning back,
Lish







No comments:

Post a Comment