Thought I'd write a shout-out blog to the Jacksons, with a grand total of five kids (Jackson five, comin' at'cha!) and their two (team awesome, holla!) parents-- I honestly can't say enough good, nay, GREAT things about this family. They joined-up here in Nuzvid, India this past March, and it's been an incredible hulk of a journey... for those of you unable to make it out, here's a quick meet&greet. Hold the cameras, no flash please.
Meet Bryan. He's a what you'd get if you mashed personalities between John the Baptist and the beloved disciple John. He's got bold audacity, truth-blazing fire of the Lord and yet, the tender-heart of a father and friend. A rock-solid man of integrity and humility. He's flipping tables in the temple with Jesus then giving you the coat and shirt off his back, and what's that? You need these shoes? It's cool, man. Nah, take 'em. I'm ever-grateful for his example and ever-gleaning from his wisdom, his challenging faith-life, and all those iTunes podcasts of David Hogan sermons. ("Jesus...")
Meet Mindy. With that contagious smile and off-the-charts positive attitude, I'd say she's right up there next to, even a notch above Martha and Mary. She knows how to keep busy- cleaning house, taking non-stop care of five energetic kids- and yet, she knows the importance of sitting at the feet of Jesus. A striking balance not many find easy to obtain, and she does it with grace. Despite challenges on the demanding (understatement!) field of India, she appears to float from hurdle to hurdle like a gold-medal Olympian. With her down-to-earth, sarcastic (Wisconsin, eh?) sense of humor, and a deep compassion for others, I've found her to be a joyful presence and a sincere friend. Most importantly, she's a Proverbs 31 woman to the core. I've learned much from this beautiful woman, and I hope one day to tackle mom-hood as amazing as she does. If we ever get some time back in the states together, the ICED VENTI Chai is on me, my friend. Heck, let's make it two.
Meet Ezekiel. (8) The oldest of the gang, you will most likely find him playing his DS (Digital System) or sticking around for after dinner conversation while chumming his dad for the remainder of his coffee. Which just goes to show, if he's drinking coffee at age eight, there's definitely great things in store for this kid. But seriously. He's super smart and a great big brother- always looking out for his four sibs... like making sure they're not raiding the 4th shelf candy stash, unless of course, mom says it's OK. If you need prophetic insight, he'll be the first to let you know, he's actually a prophet. The Bible says so. You might want to listen to what he says. And let's not forgot his love for The Andy Griffith Show, an automatic plus five cool points.
Meet Abigail. (6) The Precious Moments people should probably coin a doll after this girl. From her adorable grin to her eager enthusiasm, she's a real-life precious moment in the making. She loves to dance and sing and twirl around the room on a old suitcase with wheels. Her favorite food would be, hands down, rice and pedigoo. And if there's candy suckers being divied out, she'll be the first to offer you one, any color! She also has a delightful habit of cracking herself up, almost like a soul-tickle.
Meet Shiloh. (5) I'm pretty sure the invention of a smock was designed with Shiloh in mind. From juicy mangos to mud pies, by the end of the day, he's wearing it all, yet somehow, with that cute smirk of his, he wins you over again. Always the quick one to make new friends, he's got a fun-loving personality and a knack for (mostly) harmless mischief. If you're up for a game of catch, be sure to watch your head, this kids got a wild curve. If you've got a deck of Uno, look out, he's a three-time champ. And if you pinch his cheek, don't be surprised if he pinches yours back.
Meet the twins (3 x 2):
Samara. Samara's best friend is her mom. Often she will accompany her on trips to the bathroom and claim the seat right next to her chair, three out of three meals per day. If there's a broom in the room, my only pre-caution is to step aside as she might sweep you away (literally) with all the dust and crushed bugs. Though shy at times, she's got sparkling blue eyes that filter emotion with passion- happy or sad- she wears it on her sleeve. And work it girl, she sure knows how to throw-up her hands to a good Indian beat or a spirit-led worship song.
Micah, on the other hand, knows the meaning of rough and tumble. I've personally witnessed this kid wipe out, face first, on cement, then get up like it was nothing and run off like a defense tackle, fourth down. And why don't you throw a little dirt and spit on it, while you're at it. From lunch-time curry to potty-training diapers, he's not afraid to leave his mark. And if there's birthday cake or morning Boost involved, move out the way, he'll let you know he's coming.
I love this family and words painfully lack in expressing my sentiments. Grateful to have crossed paths with them? Yes. Blessed beyond measure? Yes. Honored to have shared the fore-fronts of the battle together? Yes. Some of my most fond memories were late at night-- when you "somewhat" stop sweating and there's "somewhat" of a coolish breeze-- Mindy, Bryan, and I (and often one of the sleepless five) would sit out of the roof-top patio and just chill. We'd listen to sermon podcasts, we'd listen to music, (*clears throat* Kevin Prosch) and more often than not, we'd spend time praying together. Like a cool douse of water down the throat and over the head on mile 26, it was pure refreshment for the soul. They are one of the Lord's most valuable gifts to my life. I treasure you all dearly. I will miss you guys. I will pray for you with steadfast love and faith-- pressed down, but not overcome. Crushed, but not destroyed. His love is enough. More than enough. Keep passing out the Bread. And I'll even raise a piping-hot, road-stand chai-- here's to more adventures with Jesus together in the future... India, Nepal, Africa? The lion roars.
Love you guys,
Lish
P.S. Thank you for giving to the Lord. (no, but seriously)
"Farewell. We have known great joys together. If Aslan gave me my choice I would choose no other life than the life I have had and no other death than the one we go to." -The Last Battle, C.S. Lewis
I absolutely love this!!! The Jacksons are amazing!
ReplyDelete